Is this personalised medicine for you?
Caring for and maintaining the body’s health is an act of integrating treatment methods, not separating them. At Devon Lifestyle Medicine, we utilise a method that treats the whole of you – mind, body and spirit.
For thousands of years practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine and Ayurveyda have considered patients ailments holistically. These approaches view human beings as whole beings, rather than a collection of separate parts.
Modern Lifestyle Medicine offers key updates. As well as spending time listening to your history we look for interactions among genetic, environmental, and lifestyle factors that can influence your long-term health and cause complex, chronic disease.
If appropriate, we can use state-of-the-art diagnostic tools such as genetic analysis, stool, blood and urine testing to identify imbalance before it becomes disease, contributing to it or indeed causing it.
There is an ever growing body of scientific evidence highlighting the importance of a few basic principles, imbalance of which can explain disease. These concepts are the 7 keys, or core systems of the body:
- Optimise Nutrition– We are made of the food we eat. Our biology, our biochemistry and physiology need certain raw materials to run optimally. We need the right balance and quality of protein, fats, carbohydrates and the right vitamins and minerals in the right dose for each of us. We need colourful pigments in plants called phytonutrients to support our wellbeing and function. Nearly all of us are nutritionally imbalanced in one way or another.
- Fix Your Digestion– Digesting, absorbing and assimilating all the food and nutrients we eat is critical for health. Our digestive system must also protect us from internal toxins, bugs and potential allergens as well as eliminate waste. Breakdown anywhere in this process creates illness.
- Balance Your Hormones– Our hormones are a symphony of molecules including thyroid, sex and stress hormones, insulin and many more. They have to work in harmony for you to be healthy.
- Cool off Inflammation– We must protect and defend ourselves from foreign invaders or abnormal cells inside our own body. When this is over or underactive, illness occurs. Inflammation is a central theme for most chronic disese in the body and brain.
- Enhance Detoxification– Our bodies must eliminate all of our metabolic wastes and all the toxins we take in from our environment through our food, air, water and medicines. The toxic burden in the 21st century is overwhelming and often our bodies can’t keep up. This can lead to illness. Dramatic examples include asbestos, cigarettes or DDT.
- Boost Energy Metabolism- Life is energy. Once no more energy is produced in your cells you die. The process of extracting energy from the food you eat and the oxygen you breathe is the most essential process of life. Keeping that metabolic engine running smoothly and protecting it from harm is essential for health. Loss of energy is found in many disorders such as chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, anxiety and depression.
- Calm Your Mind– A life of meaning and purpose, a life in balance with connection, community, love, support and a sense on empowerment are essential to health. The overwhelming stress of the 21st century, including social isolation, over work, and disempowerment create enormous stresses on our nervous system and hormones leading to the burnout and breakdown of other systems.
Unfortunately our rapidly changing modern lifestyle was not what we were genetically and physiologically determined to deal with. Compared to just a 50 or 60 years ago we now have; poor sleep, long working hours, increased stress, calorie rich but nutrient poor diets, increased pollution and toxic load. This adversely affects these core systems and is making us sick.
By analysing where you are out of balance in these 7 key areas we can help you re-establish balance and we can create treatments matched to your individual needs.
Utilising this approach can allow our patients who have been searching for solutions to their problems for years to finally have hope. Instead of relying on being prescribed medications again and again for temporary relief, we aim to diagnose problems holistically in order to find a permanent cure.